EUSEW High Level Policy Conference at the Committee of the Regions
On Wednesday the 26th of June 2013, the European Association for Storage of Energy (EASE) in cooperation with Eurelectric and the stoRE project hosted a High Level Policy Conference in the framework of the EU Sustainable Energy Week (EUSEW) on Facilitating energy storage to allow fast growth of sustainable energy at the Committee of the Regions (CoR), Rue Belliard 99-101, B-1040 Brussels .
Because of the changing energy landscape, including the variability of major renewable energy sources the electricity storage requirements are growing. Fast development of storage infrastructure is crucial to allow the accommodation of the ambitious renewable energy targets in the EU. However, in the current market the profitability of electricity storage is marginal in the best case and the regulatory framework adds uncertainty on how this will develop, making the development of energy storage projects more difficult. The event will debate on how to deal with these policy issues fast and effectively.
Download the agenda of the event here.
Presentations of the event:
- Batteries - Decentralised Storage by Reinout Wissenburg, SSE
- Power-to-Gas by Christian Folke, E.ON
- CAES by Erik Hauptmeier, RWE
- PHS by Karl Wimmer, VERBUND
Session 2 "Possible improvements in the market and regulatory frameworks from the perspective of energy storage":
- TSO Perspective by Manuel Galvez, ELIA
- Utility Perspective by Juan José Alba Rios, ENDESA
- stoRE Project Recommendations by Michael Papapetrou, WIP (stoRE project coordinator)